M50 Steel (AMS 6491, AMS 6490)
M-50 VIM-VAR is a premium-melted alloy exhibiting excellent resistance to multi-axial stresses, resistance to softening at high service temperatures and good resistance to oxidation. Characteristic of a high-speed tool steel, it possesses high compressive strength. All M-50 at Sullivan is melted in the USA. Domestic Source and DFARS Approved.
|FOR REQUIREMENTS:||High Temperature Steel, Aircraft Bearings|
|SPECIFICATIONS:||AISI Type M-50
AMS 6491 (VIM-VAR)
AMS 6490 (VAR)
Reference UNS K88165
Benefits of M-50
- Exhibits excellent resistance to multi-axial stresses and softening at high service temperatures as well as good resistance to oxidation
- Characteristic of a high-speed tool steel, it possesses high compressive strength.
- Due to the alloy’s high degree of cleanliness, parts are capable of being finished to a high luster.
- Used in a wide variety of applications for components which require high wear resistance and strength at elevated temperatures
- Aircraft Engine Bearings
- Helicopter Rotor Bearings
- Gas Turbines (requiring hot hardness)
- High Performance Racing Engines
- Tooling Applications
Chemical Composition – VIM-VAR
0.236″ – 7.000″ø